Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Devilish Egg Salad

Sometimes I like egg salad plain and simple: just some chopped hard boiled eggs, a little mayo, S&P, maybe a touch of dijon mustard.

Other times, though, a little pizzazz seems called for in the boiled egg department. I had some eggs to use up, and didn't feel like messing with anything that required turning on the oven -- like a quiche, so here's what I did:

7 hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered. (You could just as easily use 6, or 8. I had 7 to do something with.) Place in boil of food processor and pulse a few times to chop fairly fine. (I like my egg salad spreadable, as mostly I eat it on crackers and big chunks of egg white tend to fall off, usually into my lap or onto my chest, so small chop is better).

Dump the chopped eggs out into a medium mixing bowl. Into the food processor (no reason to wash, or even wipe it; why clean it twice?), add:
1/4 cup mayo (I like Hellman's/Best Foods Lite)
2 T plain yogurt
1 T dijon mustard
1 medium stalk celery in 2" pieces
1/4 cup (approx.) green onions, mostly white parts
1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 tsp curry powder (the hotter the better)
1/4 tsp chipotle powder
salt & pepper to taste (the mayo and mustard add enough salt for me, especially if I'll be enjoying on salty crackers, you might want more)

Blend it all together until the celery is well chopped up. Dump into the bowl of eggs and mix well with a rubber spatula.

A little diced ham would be a fine addition to this, if you eat ham. I don't any more, but times like this I miss it.

No comments: